She

I quickened my pace as I reached CST station. It was important that I got a seat, the journey was long and I was laden with bags and books.

The train came to a screeching halt at the last station that was CST. I looked around to see only a couple of ladies waiting to board the train. They still managed to scamper and rush inside. I smiled inwardly on our Mumbaiya attitude - Grab what you can get, as fast as you can get.

I leisurely climbed and took a seat near the window. I heaved a deep sigh of satisfaction as the train chugged along and the soft breeze took away the day's tiredness. I enjoyed the silence marked by the 'zook zook' sound of the train. The other ladies in the compartment also seemed to be enjoying the rare solitude that we found in the late night journeys. It was exactly 10.22 PM.

The last couple of days had been crazy; work had been hectic and I used to just crash on my bed every night. But I wasn't complaining. I needed everything to keep my mind occupied, solitude now scared me.

As the train continued its journey I realized that it had been a while since I had alone time. Alone time usually meant contemplation. That was the one thing I wanted to avoid very strongly. I could no more afford the sweet soul searching time you spend with yourself.

In my desperate attempt to avoid deep thoughts, I pulled out my earphones from my bagpack. I searched my playlist and played the raunchiest song I had. It started with 'Baby Doll' and I blissfully closed my eyes. I concentrated very hard to visualize how I could choreograph this song. Well, I am not a choreographer by profession but I liked to spend the rest of my time dancing. I guess it was another way of running away from contemplation. I tapped my feet to the quirky tune and closed my eyes.

I had no idea that my playlist was on shuffle. As soon as the song ended, a slow beautiful tune began. Before I could change the song, 'Hosanna' started playing and I could no more do anything but listen to it. The song was wonderfully composed.

As I touched my cheeks, I felt tears running down. I had been strong for too long. In my everyday battle to be normal I was draining everything that I had.

I looked out of the window and wondered if he was thinking about me at that very moment. If he also felt a gaping hole in his heart. I wondered again what went wrong or if just maybe I was unlovable.

I knew I was falling in the depths of sorrow again and I couldn't let myself fall. I knew I had to be strong, for myself. I knew my love was real and I had been true to myself. I knew somewhere sometime, he will realize it.

Till then, I had to keep chugging along like the train I was in. I hoped to find my destination with the last station.

Comments

Post a Comment